Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Review of Nadia Reimer's Colored Sand by Jeff Bailey


Colored Sand

I just finished reading Colored Sand, by Nadia Reimer and it to be absolutely surprising. Nadia, who is originally from Jordan, took me on a journey through the Jordan of her childhood woven into an intriguing story of archeological search. The first hand stories about the life of the average peasant Jordanian who lived around the ancient city of Petra and supported the tourist business was detailed enough to be interesting in itself. Nadia’s writing style is captivating. It was not entirely Americanized. Her writing has almost a hint of an accent that gives the book an air of authenticity, charming.
Nadia Reimer and Jeff Bailey
I met Nadia at a recent book-signing event and was able to spend some time listening to her stories of her childhood. She is a natural storyteller. In person, she has an easy humor that doesn’t come out in Colored Sand. We had an extended conversation about one of her writing goals: to send the message that most of the people from faraway places are just like us. We all want the best for our families, a good life and to live our life free to pursue our beliefs. I agree with her, ninety-nine point nine percent of the world want a better world. It’s only a small fraction of the world’s population that wants to disrupt the world to force their own values. I present a similar theme in my books, only not quite in the same words. Several of the scenes in my books take place in ethnically diverse locals, embassy rows, the American military, and international commerce settings. When everyone is different, differences don’t matter.

My compliments to Nadia Reimer and her nostalgic story, Colored Sand. I rate Nadia Reimerhigh on my personal reading list and look forward to reading my latest Nadia Reimer acquisition, Hunters of the Wild Beasts, also by Nadia Reimer. Colored Sand definitely rates five stars on my reading enjoyment scale.



Books by Nadia Reimer: Colored Sand, Hunters of the Wild Beasts, Old Garments and Matching Hats, Stray Notes in a Minor Key. Stray Notes is an interesting book of poems, one-third in English, one-third in Spanish, and one-third in Arabic.



Books by Jeff Bailey: The Defect (released by Deer Hawk Publications in June of 2016), I’m a Marine (Scheduled for release in spring of 2017 by Deer Hawk Publications), The Chilcoat Project, and Wine Country. Several other titles are scheduled.

No comments:

Post a Comment