Sunday, February 19, 2017

Maureen McQuerry's The Peculiars, A Review by Jeff Bailey



Lena Mattacascar is different. Her feet are too big. Her hands are too long. She is, well, Peculiar. She is also on a quest, searching for the truth and her past. Lena is a stranger traveling a strange land. She finds more that she bargained for.
I just finished reading Maureen McQuerry’s fantasy novel, The Peculiars and I’m disappointed that it’s over. I came to know and empathize with the characters. They are so well developed. I found myself being concerned that they find their individual truths. I like this type of book. It naturally leads into a series. I want to know where the peculiar one goes next. I want to know what happens to her and her traveling troop. One thing that I discovered while reading The Peculiars, was that I wasn’t able to second-guess the story. The story always seemed to travel an unexpected path. I find the literary unexpected path immensely entertaining. While fantasy is not my favorite genre of books, I have always enjoyed any story that is well done and The Peculiars was exceptionally well done.

I had an opportunity meet Maureen McQuerry at a book signing, recently. All I can say is, ‘What a character.’ I discovered that Maureen and her husband are active in local theater, as well the publishing world. They seemed to be a cross between Shakespearian drama and Steam Punk whimsy. I can easily see where Mrs. McQuerry gets her inspiration for some of her minor story lines, delightful. I understand why she is a favorite in the Young Adult book genre.
 

Maureen Doyle McQuerry is now on my list of favorite authors and I can’t wait for the next book. I know why The Peculiars received thee YASLA Best Fiction for Young Adults Award and the Bank Street Best Book Recommendation. Of Course, I rate Maureen Doyle McQuerry and The Peculiars an easy five stars.

Other books by Maureen Doyle McQuerry: Time out of Time: Book Two: The Telling Stone, a Washington State Book Award finalist and Time out of Time: Book One: Beyond the Door, a Booklist Top Ten SF-Fantasy.



Deer Hawk Publications released my novel, The Defect in June of 2016. The Defect is a fictionalized account of what really happened during the accident at Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Station and the reasons for the government coverup that followed.  I’m a Marine is scheduled for release in May of 2017 and is based on my granddaughters service in the U.S. Marines. The Chilcoat Project  is scheduled for release the next year. Jeff’s current project is Wine Country. Wine Country is based, in part, on the true story of the ‘Radioactive Boy Scout.

Welcome to my World. 

No comments:

Post a Comment