Sunday, January 17, 2016

So you want to be a writer?

If you're contemplating trying to become an author or writer, you should answer one important question first: Will you enjoy the world of writing and publishing? For me, this question was answered when I followed the first piece advice that book agent every gave me, "Join and become active in a local writers critique group or a writer's guild." I fought this advice for long time.
Eventually, I investigated several writers groups in my area. One was too formal. One admitted only"published" authors. Another met at a time that was impossible for me. I eventually selected the Sagebrush Writers Guild ( https://sites.google.com/site/sagebrushwritersguild/ ). It's a small, diverse group and it fit me perfectly.
I try to attend every meeting possible. I find it fascinating to listen to accomplished writers discuss works in progress. I enjoy reading other peoples writings and looking for what works for me and what does not. I learn something new from every critique that I listen to or deliver. I find areas where I can improve my own work.
My association with my writer's guild answered the enjoyment factor for me. I really look forward to the meetings. I enjoy the company of writers who share my interest. I come home invigorated and encouraged. I especially like the reviews of my work, even the negative ones. I learn from all of them.
Join a writer's guild. If the experience is positive and you can't wait until the next meeting, you have a small measure of the tools that you will need to succeed in the industry. If you don't enjoy the experience, well, you have to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment