Friday, February 19, 2016

Characters

I recently got this comment from a proof reader, "I enjoyed the detailed [character] foundation so that when the story begins to unfold I wasn't sidetracked..."

 Karen couldn't have given me a more satisfying compliment. James Michener is one of my favorite authors. He was a master of character development over generations of characters lives. Each generation added an understanding of the motivations of the main characters.

I try to do that same character development (on a much less grand scale) in my stories. I don't my readers to be confused about who or why. When I'm reading a book (or, watching a movie for that matter) where several characters look or sound too much alike with little backstory to distinguish them, I get lost. The story loses something when I can't keep track of who's who and why they are doing what they doing.


Read more of my profile.
Read the first chapter of The Defect.
To read Karen's full comments, visit my Press Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment