Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The first time authors marketing Bible

When I started writing, I was fortunate enough to be able to spend all of my free time writing. As the the release of my first book approaches (this May), this is no longer true. I'm lucky if I can manage half or even a quarter of time to write. By necessity, I spend a big chunk of my time marketing or preparing to market the release of The Defect.
As a first time author, I didn't have a clue where to start a marketing campaign. I did find some limited help on line. We have all heard the basics, 'create a web page,' 'start a blog,' 'send out press releases.' I needed more, a lot more. I found that 'more' in a book called 1001 Ways to Market Your Books, by John Kremer.
The book has become my marketing Bible. Yes, I have read or reviewed all 700 pages. Suggestions range from handing out business cards in hospital waiting rooms to the details of electronic marketing on sites like Amazon.com. True, I have not implemented every suggestion. Some are just 'not me.' But, even the techniques that I decided not to incorporate into my campaign sparked other ideas. I now have more acceptable marketing paths than I can ever pursue. Some are from the book and some are inspired by the book. The aspect of the book that I like most is that Kremer doesn't just say 'try this.' Where ever possible he says, 'and here are the website and resources that will help you get there.'
My copy of 1001 Ways to Market Your Books is already heavily highlighted and tabbed. Once I have made the current techniques a habit, I will go back to the tabs and try new things. I just don't have time for everything all at once.
My recommendation is that if someone wants to market a book, read 1001 Ways to Market Your Books first.

No comments:

Post a Comment