Saturday, February 27, 2016

Philty's Gold Mine by Jeff Bailey

The inspiration for the short story, Philty's Gold Mine, came from my teenage years. I was born in Southern California and raised in Northern California. I spent more weekends in the mountains than I can remember. We fished and swam in the American, Consumes and (yes) the the Feather Rivers. I did explore a small creek and actually found a couple of broken down, old buildings. I think they were more local hay storage storage than the skeletal remains of a gold boom town. We did have to cross a tall rail trestle over a white water river and I did sit on a rock and felt the rumbling of the boulders in the river.
It's amazing how many details I can remember from that day. The whole scene just seemed to fit the story line. I've no idea where the story came from. It just seems to have always been rolling around in my subconscious. Hopefully, one day we can read the whole story in print.

Philty's Gold Mine

My home page

Press Room

No comments:

Post a Comment