Monday, February 8, 2016

What do Publishers Want?

"What Do Publishers want?" I have to admit that when I started searching for a publisher, I didn't know. To some extent, I still don't know. But, I do know how to find out: Ask them. No, I'm not recommending that you call all of them. There is easier way.
I recommend that an inquiring mind do two things. For general knowledge, look up their web pages. either google 'book publishers' or 'lists of Publishers.' The writers-free-reference.com is a good place to start. Most of the agent home pages will have a link to something like 'how to work with us', 'what we want', 'submission requirements', etc. These pages will provide the simple, basic answers.
For a more 'insider' answer, find publishers who have blogs and subscribe to them. Let the publishers tell you on a daily basis what is on their minds. The blog narratives are full of pet peeves and effective hints. Leave questions, join discussion, and express your opinion. Become involved. Let this simple act help you to start building your social network as a writer.
Now, not all blogs are worth the effort. Some (many) blogs are used as an avenue to free advertising. A blog dedicated to selling and selling alone is useless. But, Take you time. You may have to review dozens of blogs before you find a couple that are compatible to your needs. Trust me, It's worth the effort.
 Read more of my bio at: https://sites.google.com/site/jeffreyabaileyauthor/home

No comments:

Post a Comment