Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Myth of Writer's Block

A fan recently asked me if I ever suffer from writers block. The simple answer is, 'No.' But, there are a couple of qualifiers on that answer. I think (and it's only my opinion) that any writer that is suffering from writer's block, is really suffering from one of two maladies.

Either the writer has nothing to say or the writer has not completely developed what he wants to say. If a writer can't get past the first few sentences, it's probably because the writer has nothing to say. I know that it's a harsh thing to say, but it's true. A writer who has never participated in professional sports probably doesn't  have anything 'real' to write about professional sports. If a writer is this stumped trying to write any portion of a legitimate work, he might consider another line of work.

The other malady attributed to writer's block is when a writer tries to write a passage that is not completely developed in his mind. Putting legitimate emotions into words is one of the most difficult things that a person can do, especially if they have lived the pain. I do run into a less dramatic block, on occasion, but I get around it. If the words won't come on a particular section, I open the spreadsheet on that project and pick another section to write. If I can't find a section of that project where the words will flow, I open another project and pick a section. My spreadsheets save me the angst of the dreaded writer's block. I can always find something tom write that, in my mind, is completely developed. I guess that I should write a blog on using a spreadsheet instead of an outline when tackling a large project. It works for me.

I approach the troubling section of writing by letting the subject percolate around in my brain for a few days. I find that one of the best times for me to try to work out a writing problem is during the hour that I spend staring at the blue tile line on the bottom of my workout swimming pool. I have an hour, three times a week where my mind has nothing to do but focus on solving the content of that undeveloped section. I usually find that some part of the section is out of sequence, inconsistent with real life, unnecessary, too wordy, etc. Given a little time, I will usually realize why the scene  won't work and I'll change it. After the 'ah-ha' oment, the words will flow more easily the next time I approach that bit of writing. My spreadsheet keeps me from losing track of where I am in the project.

I don't suffer from writer's block. There are too many sections of too may projects that are developed enough for me redirect my efforts. This is also why I can sit down anywhere, at nearly any time, and write a few hundred works with no discernible effort. One day I'll do a blog about how I use a spreadsheet.

https://sites.google.com/site/jeffreyabaileyauthor/home




No comments:

Post a Comment